My Daily Grateful - Family

Today’s Daily Grateful is family. I am grateful for both my immediate and my extended family.

-For parents who provided me with a secure and loving upbringing even after their divorce. Who have always believed in me. Whose support I never question. Mom, I miss you more than I can say.

-For my sisters who I know beyond all doubt will always do whatever it takes for me, my husband and my kids, if need be. Who make me laugh, a lot. Who aren’t ashamed to join me in a good sob-fest. Who make me laugh, a lot. (Yes, it needs to be repeated!) Happy birthday, Shell.

-For the dozens (2 ½ of them, I think) of brothers and sisters-in-law who have provided stunning examples of family and who are so supportive and really, really fun!

-For the scores of nieces and nephews, great nieces and great nephews who add depths of joy to our lives. Who consistently remind me how blessed I am to be a part of this amazing family.

-For my children who continually inspire me, awe me with their abilities and humble me with their humanity. It is so bittersweet to see you grow into independent, young adults. Sometimes I think we did our job too well.

-But really, I am most grateful for my husband. For some reason that I may never understand, this man chose me. And when he did that, he completely altered my life’s path. I’ve learned so much from him and because of him. I’ve grown. I’ve tried things I would never have had the courage to try on my own. Yet the most important thing I’ve learned from him is the value of the individual. There is never an “us” nor a “them.” There are only several hims or hers that make up the collective and each one has a story, a reason, a worth. I don’t even think he meant to teach me that, but it was through him that I came to realize it. 1.) By being accepted by the individuals in his enormous family. 2.) Through his quiet accessing of a situation. 3.) By his never asking “whose fault”, but instead “how can we help?” Our children wouldn’t be the people they are if it weren’t for him. I know I have a hand in their development, but I wouldn’t be the person I am had I not met him. My husband truly is the better half of this couple. I’m thankful every moment of every day that he is in my life helping me become the person I am.

It has been lovely sharing my daily gratefuls with you over the last week and a half. I truly am thankful for my blog followers, because without readers, my writing means nothing. Thank you for taking time out of your day to read. Whether it is each day that I post, or only a few times a month, please know that I value the time you give to me. Thank you to followers who are compelled to post a comment. Have you ever given a presentation in front of a room of people who weren’t looking at you? Doodling? Obviously daydreaming? Yeah, blogging is a lot like that. Frequently it feels like no one is listening. So thanks to those who “raise their hands.” Please remember to enter to win one of two signed copies of The Weaver as my thank you for following my blog. You have until midnight tonight.

Hope you’ve enjoyed My Daily Grateful series. I’d love to hear which post resonated with you most? Now it’s your turn to tell me what you’re grateful for.

Comments

  1. Honey, You make me want to be all those things! You are the "Better Half" I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post! I loved the hair post!

    And - I am grateful for family, friends, good health, having a job, and all the furry companions who share my life. Plus a plethora of other things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (See - best husband in the world!)

    Julia, thanks for reading and commenting during my grateful series. I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving. I LOVE the word "plethora".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me