November 1, 2011

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

Finding Time to Write the Sequel

by Susan Kaye Quinn, author of Open Minds (Book One of the Mindjack Trilogy)

Even before I decided to self-publish my new paranormal/SF novel Open Minds (Book One of the Mindjack Trilogy), I knew it would be a trilogy. But once I had made the decision to publish, the need to get busy on the sequel(s) kicked into high gear.

Except that I was also publishing a book.

Most writers find it difficult to balance writing with all the other demands in life. Even people who are lucky enough to write full time (which I am, since I write while my kids are at school), there’s still a tug between writing time and all the other things that need to be done.

Once you’re published, this all changes, and not for the better.

Now, not only do you need to write and get the kids to school and get the laundry done, but you also need to market your book, which can mean everything from actually getting it published (edits, covers, websites, blogs) to promotional activities like book signings, blog tours, and interviews.

All of which is FANTASTIC, and I wouldn’t trade it for the world. There are people reading my book. There is seriously no greater feeling in the world for a writer. But it does make the balance of finding time to write even more difficult.

Many authors I know (whether self-pub or small press or big 6), have found the period of time after publishing their first novel very challenging. And I did too, the first time around, when I published Life, Liberty, and Pursuit. I know some authors who didn’t write for a year, overwhelmed with the publishing/marketing aspects of having a book in print. It can be never-ending drain of time and energy, if you let it. By the time I decided to publish Open Minds, I had already been through the process once, so I was better prepared.

I know that writing is the most important part of what I do, and I’m getting better at keeping that writing time sacred. Even with the ramp-up craziness that comes with launching a new book, I’m still writing every day. It helps that people are already asking when Closed Hearts (Book Two of the Mindjack Trilogy) will come out (answer: 2012).

So I had better get it written!

I’ve learned to turn my browser off, shut down my email, and ignore that nagging feeling that there’s something left undone. Because the most important “undone” thing I can do is write the next book. In this case, it’s Closed Hearts, but I believe that’s a general rule for writers everywhere, no matter what the stage of their career. First, write the best book that you can, today, with the skills and experience that you have. Learn everything you can from that book. Make it the best book it can be. Then move on, and write the next one. And the next one.

After all, that’s what we writers love to do.

*********************
When everyone reads minds, a secret is a dangerous thing to keep.

Buy Open Minds NOW
Sixteen-year-old Kira Moore is a zero, someone who can’t read thoughts or be read by others. Zeros are outcasts who can’t be trusted, leaving her no chance with Raf, a regular mindreader and the best friend she secretly loves. When she accidentally controls Raf’s mind and nearly kills him, Kira tries to hide her frightening new ability from her family and an increasingly suspicious Raf. But lies tangle around her, and she’s dragged deep into a hidden world of mindjackers, where having to mind control everyone she loves is just the beginning of the deadly choices before her.
Open Minds (Book One of the Mindjack Trilogy) by Susan Kaye Quinn is available for $2.99 in e-book (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords) and $9.99 in print (Amazon, Createspace).
The Story of Open Minds (linked posts)
Epilogue: Finding Time to Write the Sequel ßYou are here.

*********************
PRIZES!
Susan Kaye Quinn is giving away an Open Books/Open Minds t-shirt, mug, and some fun wristbands to celebrate the Virtual Launch Party of Open Minds (Book One of the Mindjack Trilogy)! (Check out the prizes here.)
Three ways to enter (you can have multiple entries):
1)      Leave a comment here or at the Virtual Launch Party post
2)      Tweet (with tag #keepingOPENMINDS)
Example: When everyone reads minds, a secret is a dangerous thing to keep. #keepingOPENMINDS @susankayequinn #SF #YA avail NOW http://bit.ly/psX1Hh
Example: Celebrate the launch of OPEN MINDS by @susankayequinn #keepingOPENMINDS #SciFi #paranormal #YA avail NOW http://bit.ly/SKQOpenMinds
3)       Facebook (tag @AuthorSusanKayeQuinn)
Example: Celebrate the launch of paranormal/SF novel OPEN MINDS by @AuthorSusanKayeQuinn for a chance to win Open Books/Open Minds prizes!
***********************************

8 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for being a Party Host!! And this reminds me...tomorrow the writing begins in earnest! (NaNo is Upon Us) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck with your newest book, Susan! So many great reviews already. I can't wait to read it. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan I am so looking forward to following the success of Open Minds and its two sequels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been a pleasure to learn more about Open Minds. Best wishes on your books, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am too, Joanna. And Susan is such a terrific writer, so you know there will be much success.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a good thing you write fast! I can't wait to read the sequel :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Susan, I need to get back to writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So enjoyed this string of posts, Sue. Fabulous launch party. I can't tell you how glad I am that you decided to be a writer. All the best, dear genius!

    ReplyDelete