Three Times A Charm with Tammy Lowe

Welcome to Three Times A Charm. I love meeting new authors, illustrators, bloggers, agents, editors or promoters from the children’s publishing industry and sharing their careers with my readers.


Today’s guest is author, Tammy Lowe. Welcome Tammy. Tell us a little about you, please.

Hi Kai,

Thanks for having me on your blog today.
I live up here in the Great White North with my husband of twenty years and our teenage son. 

From September to June, I am surrounded by preschoolers and covered in glitter and glue.

Once school is out, I grab my hubby and our son and we are off on some grand adventure. We’ve explored pyramids in Egypt and sailed down a river in rural China on a tiny raft.  We’ve slept in the tower of a 15th century Scottish castle, searched for the Loch Ness Monster and have even dined at a Bedouin camp in the Arabian Desert. I love to explore this amazing world of ours. 

That sounds amazing! I hope your son realizes how lucky he is. Can you tell us about your book?

As a kid, I loved to read books and watch shows like Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Green Gables.  I loved anything set in the “olden days”.

When I was about ten years old, I began to wonder about time travel.  My biggest wish was that I’d end up back in the pioneer era.  I wanted to go and hang out with spoiled Nellie Olsen.  I don’t remember why I wished for Nellie over Laura Ingalls, but I think it had something to do with the fact that her parents owned the candy shop.

I had it all figured out.  I didn’t want to live in the 18th or 19th century; I’d miss my family too much. And I can’t live without modern comforts.  I wanted the freedom to travel back and forth through time.

So strong was my wish to time travel, I even dressed the part, as much as I could, without raising anyone’s suspicions. I wore dresses to school every day, when all my friends wore jeans and t-shirts. I had to be prepared just in case it worked and I was whisked through time. That summer, I even begged my mom to buy me a bonnet.  She did.  I wore that white bonnet everywhere.  If I ended up in Walnut Grove or Avonlea, I was prepared.  (Yes, I embraced my inner dork)

By the sixth grade I was old enough to realize that time travel probably wasn’t going to be a reality for me, so I decided that when I grew up, I’d write a book about a girl who could travel back and forth through time. 


THE ACADIAN SECRET is a Tween/YA Paranormal Action-Adventure about a young girl who can…time travel.

Elisabeth finds she can play in the past; when bosom friends, treasure hunters and tormented alchemists are still the norm.


BACK COVER:

Elisabeth London is keeping her new friends a secret from her parents.  Not only do they live on the other side of the world in the Scottish Highlands, they lived more than three hundred and fifty years ago. Her mom and dad would never allow her to go gallivanting about seventeenth century Scotland.  They won’t even let her go to the mall by herself yet.

Twelve-year-old Elisabeth is old enough to know there is no such thing as magic, but when her quartz crystal necklace has the power to transport her back and forth in time, she no longer knows what to think.  The only thing she is certain of is that she loves spending carefree days with Quinton, the mischievous nephew of a highland warrior, and sassy little Fiona, a farmer’s daughter. 

However, Elisabeth’s adventures take a deadly turn when she is charged with witchcraft.  At a time and place in history when witch-hunts were common, those found guilty were executed, children included. Elisabeth must race to find her way back home, while trying to stay one step ahead of the witch-hunter determined to see her burned at the stake

That is a great story of the inspiration behind your novel! And complete with a picture. Priceless!

Now, for the Threes. Share with us your top 3’s to help us know you a little better.

Top 3 tools of the trade you couldn’t live without.

1.      The internet…because I do a lot of research when I write my novels.
2.      My library card…because I do a lot of research when I write my novels.
3.      Pens and paper and lots and lots of post it notes to keep track of the plot lines and timelines.

Top 3 pieces of advice for kids these days.

1.      Have a Dream.  (And don’t be afraid to dream bigger)

There is a line from an old song that says, "you got to have dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?" 

It is so important to have goals and dreams.  When you take the time to figure out what it is you want, they have a way of coming true.

When my son was in the seventh grade he came home from school the first day and told me what his math teacher had said to the students.

"As of right now, you all have 100% in my class.  Where your mark goes from here is up to you."

My son told me that his new goal was to keep his mark at 100%.

I almost told him to be realistic.  I almost said, "you might not be able to get 100% on your report card, but remember, whatever mark you get, I know you'll have tried your best and I'll be proud of you."

But, I didn't say that to him. I bit my tongue as a thought went through my brain.  Who am I to tell him he couldn't get 100%? 

Instead of telling him what he couldn't do, I said, "You know what honey?  If anyone can get 100% on their report card, it's you."

And just like that, he had a dream.  A goal.  A direction.

And you know what?  He got that 100% in math. 

Not once.

Not twice.

He did it three report cards in a row.


The most important part of making a dream or a goal come true, is to take the time to think of a goal or dream.  When you do, life surprises you.  ♥

2.       Learn a Sport

Not everyone likes to play hockey or baseball, but that doesn’t mean you have to sit on the sidelines. We all love different things.  Perhaps dancing, karate, skiing or running is your thing.

Find a physical activity that you enjoy and stick to that one thing as you grow older. You know what happens?  You turn out to be one of those well rounded people that dance in a recital on stage, earn their black belt in karate, run a marathon or ski in a competition. “A black belt is a white belt who never quit.”  Someday you will become the inspiration that others look up to.

3.      Follow your Joy…that is how you find your purpose in life. 

Top 3 personal mantras or inspirational phrases.

1.      When given the choice between being right and being kind, choose kindness.
      Wayne Dyer

2.      “Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”
Roald Dahl

3.      “People with goals succeed because they know where they're going.”
Earl Nightingale

I especially love the Wayne Dyer quote.

Where can our tech-savvy readers go to keep up with you and your writing?

You can find me at www.tammylowe.com

Tammy, thanks for charming us on this week’s Three Times A Charm. Best of luck to you, your writing.

THANKS!

GUESTS WELCOME!  I am always looking for guests for Three Times A Charm. If you are an author, illustrator or book reviewer, an agent or an editor. If you have something related to children’s publishing that you’d like people to know about, feel free to contact me about a future appearance.

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me on your blog Kai.
    I had a really great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure. Hope you can come back again sometime! And may The Acadian Secret find a million readers!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me