Favorite Authors' Favorites

Welcome to my feature FAVE-A-FAVE, all about author favorites. I love that the internet gives us access to authors. I’m a fangirl and I’m not afraid to admit it, and I LOVE to be able to help readers get to know their favorite authors as well as discover new ones.

Grab a pen and paper, or log onto Goodreads, because more than likely you’ll find a title or two to add to your very own list. Please visit the authors’ websites and browse their work. Be sure to come back weekly to learn more about many awesome authors!


  • First, I asked authors to share with us which book is their favorite book from their childhood.


Tuck Everlasting (Natalie Babbitt) because I could see what she wrote in my mind like watching a movie. –Mary Waibel (Mary writes fantasy and fairytale type fiction for teens) 

Where the Wild Things Are  by Maurice Sendak.  I love the monsters and the main character who is able to escape his childhood demons for a short time and realize that maybe things aren’t so bad at home. – ChrisWeigand (Chris writes Christian Fantasy fiction for kids and teens.) 



This is tough. I like so many, but one of my favorites is REPLICATION: THE JASON EXPERIMENT, by Jill Williamson.

Imagine that you’re a clone, created for one thing, to save humanity. This is Martyr, AKA Jason 3:3 Martyr has one wish before he expires: to see the sky. Martyr is such an innocent, hopeful character that I thought of him more as human than as a clone and really hoped he’d find a way to see the sky and also to survive. The author develops each character so that the reader relates to them and wants them to succeed.

  • When I asked Sheri Larsen (who writes about the unseen and the average teen/tween who's not so average.) what her favorite book world was, she did not hesitate.


Life A.D., by Michelle Reed (Speculative Fiction). As unique as the world was, it was as tangible and plausible.

  • Finally, I wanted to know some authors’ favorite author.

Dean Koontz is definitely high on my list. I love how he can make the most weird stuff seem real. I've enjoyed every single book I've read by him from Fear nothing, Odd Thomas, A door away from heaven, to The husband. When I pick a book by him I know I'm in for a good read. -Jo Linsdell (Jo is an author and illustrator of children's picture books and also non-fiction - her main topics are book marketing and Italy). 

Sandra Brown, Thriller, Suspense. She knows how to write broken characters and yet she makes them so likeable. –Angela Smith (Angela writes romance novels in an attempt to solve love’s mystery, where happy-ever-afters are a given and characters seek adventure) 

We’d love to hear your favorites. Share some in the comments, or ask our authors more about theirs.

Comments

  1. What great answers, and definitely some book I need to check out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri has me intrigued over Life A.D. And Beverly reminded me that Jill's books are on my radar. Ack! So many :)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love this post!! Thanks for including me. Sharing away....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, and lots of great authors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like an extra endorsement when an author whose work you like recommends a book. Doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. Tuck Everlasting and Where the Wild Things Are are beautiful stories. Haven't read Life AD. Will have to take a look. And of course Dean Koontz, especially his Odd Thomas series. Like Kai says, so many good books, so little time to read them. Enjoyed reading what other writers like to read. Have a lovely evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked Replication, Beverly! My new favorite author is Brandon Sanderson. I love all his stuff, but especially his middle grade and YA books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story was great, Jill. My son enjoyed it too. I've not read anything by Brandon Sanderson. Will have to take a look.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to check out Brandon Sanderson too. Thanks for stopping in, Jill and for the rec, Beverly :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for a great post. Loved the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak was a favorite in our household when my son was young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will duck after I say I always thought the kid was a brat. I've been a priss since birth. *sighs* But I loved the wild things :)

      Delete
  8. Wahoo! High five to Jo! I'm totally on board with that list of recommendations. Koontz rocks. So many other great suggestions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Koontz is great. I love that so many authors love his work. That seems like such a huge compliment for him.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me