Three Times A Charm with Meradeth Houston

Welcome to Three Times A Charm. I love introducing my readers to new authors, illustrators, bloggers, agents, editors or promoters from the children’s publishing industry.

Today’s guest is author, Meradeth Houston. Thanks for joining us, Meradeth. Please tell us a little about you.

I've never been a big fan of talking about myself, but if you really want to know, here are some random tidbits about me:
  • I'm a California girl. This generally means I talk too fast and use "like" a lot.
  • I have my doctorate in molecular anthropology. Translation: I sequence dead people's DNA and spend a whole lot of time in a lab, which I love.
  • My other passion is teaching. There's nothing more fun than getting a classroom of college kids fired up about anthropology!
  • If I could have a super-power, it would totally be flying. Which is a little strange, because I'm terrified of heights.

Anthropology does seem really intriguing. I’d love to sit in on your classes! Now, tell us about your book, if you will?

My most recent release is Surrender the Sky, in the Sary Society series (which also includes the stand alone titles Colors Like Memories, and The Chemistry of Fate). A little about my book:

Gabby lives by two unbreakable rules: don’t expose her kind, the Sary, and don’t fall in love—too bad some rules are made to be broken.

When Gabby’s most difficult charge accidently shoots her in front of a class full of students, the event exposes her carefully hidden identity. She shifts from looking like a normal teen to her secret Sary form, revealing her wings and the existence of her kind—immortals who try to keep people from committing suicide. Her incident attracts the attention of the next leader of the Sary, Jassen, who offers her an impossible bargain: she can keep her wings if she makes amends with those who know the truth. Things get more complicated when a rebel Sary, intent on exposing them to the world, starts interfering with Gabby’s work. And there’s no denying her attraction to Jassen, who is torn between his duties and his heart. With threats at every turn and her immortality on the line, Gabby has to find a way to save the Sary or surrender the sky forever.

Now, for the Threes. Share with us your top 3’s to help us know you a little better.

  • Top 3 tools of the trade you couldn’t live without. 
My computer (yes, I’m one of those people who refers to their laptop as their baby!), music (all different kinds, depending on what I’m working on), and time (at least a few minutes where I know I won’t be interrupted constantly—this can be really hard to come by!).

  • Top 3 skills to hone for people just starting in your business. 
I’m no expert, but I’d say: read as much as possible, write tons, and stick with it—it’s going to take a whole lot of determination and work to get to the end (but it’s worth it!).

  • Top 3 favorite places.
I’m a beach person, so anywhere near the ocean is tops on my list! Also, I love my family home in Northern California. And, if I could live anywhere, it would probably be Barcelona—I love that city!

Where can our tech savvy readers find more about you and your books?

Find Meradeth Houston online at: www.MeradethHouston.com
FacebookTwitterInstagramTumblr, and of course her blog!


Thanks for joining us on this week’s Three Times A Charm, Meradeth! Best of luck to you and Surrender the Sky (and Colors Like Memories and The Chemistry of Fate). So guess what, readers! Meradeth and I are blog swapping. Leave a comment here to tell Meradeth how great it was to meet her and hear about her amazing sounding books and then hop on over to her blog to read my interview! We know you can’t get enough.

THANKS!


GUESTS WELCOME!  I am always looking for guests for Three Times A Charm. If you are an author, illustrator or book reviewer, an agent or an editor. If you have something related to children’s publishing that you’d like people to know about, feel free to contact me about a future appearance.

Comments

  1. Yay! Hi, Meradeth. I'm right there with you on tools of the trade. And who wouldn't love more "time?" Here's to persisting, regardless of what may come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the mention of time was brilliant! A must. Thanks for visiting, Crystal.

      Delete
    2. Oh my, what I wouldn't give for more time! :)

      Delete
  2. Great advice on skills: reading, writing, and sticking with it. Seemingly so simple, but not as easy as it sounds. I think we all could use more time to write...never thought of that as a tool, but totally necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I find it ironic how I'm hopping over here to respond to comments so I can avoid writing 'cause my head feels like it is going to explode. Sticking with it, huh? Guess I need to work on that one. ;)

      Delete
    2. I find the sticking part to be very difficult some days! And don't get me started on distractions :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for having me here today! (Sorry I haven't made it here earlier--I have company and have been helping people move. It's been quite a day!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me