Writer's Rebel Creed - February Check-In

Word Count            Submissions              Rejections        Acceptances  

30,700+                          12                           6                        0

A number of years back, a friend of mine took up Irish Dance. I thought it was pretty ambitious for an adult, but she said if she wanted to lose weight, she'd have to significantly step up her activity. It really worked.

So this year I realized if I want to see success in my writing career I was going to have to step it up.

I'm a slow writer. But in the past I've spent a lot of time not writing. I've changed that and look at the results! Thirty thousands words is nothing to sneeze at. Granted, I won't always be able to lay down that many words. For example, having to work on edits takes away from writing, promoting a new book takes away from writing, but I managed this while the Olympics were on - that's an accomplishment in itself!

So anyway, I'm not sharing this with you to brag. There are two reasons. First off, like Weight Watchers, checking in publicly once a month will keep me motivated. Even if I don't have people clamoring at my blog or on my Facebook page or on Twitter, saying, "Where's your monthly update!" (feel free to do that BTW!) I'll still feel obligated to share. Second, just like my friend's reason for joining Irish Dance inspired me, maybe my reason for stepping up will inspire you.

Other creeds I feel I accomplished this month:

I'm fearlessly writing about a homeless teen - which I know nothing about. However, I sat down with the community relations director at our local teen shelter to learn. SO inspiring!

Support other writers - I try to do this as often as possible, but I've made a conscious effort to do a better job passing on their news through social media, because activity on and from their social media sites helps their social media reach as well as helps spread their news.

Creeds I struggled with this month:

Belief in my abilities - I haven't been out on submission for awhile and forgot how difficult it is psychologically. I'm working on it and I'm so blessed to have good writer friends to help me with that.

***
If you are a fellow Rebel, I invite you to share your counts, accomplishments, or goals in the comments. If you've blogged about it already, share the link!

It is never too late to commit to the creed! Hop on over and put your name on the list. http://www.writersally.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-writers-creed-for-2014.html  

Comments

  1. Congrats on getting so much writing done! You should be very proud of yourself. I am glad your friend inspired you and you are now putting yourself out there to inspire others. Awesome! I agree with you that it is important to share with other writers. So important to help each other out. :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read about your homeless teen! That really must be a tough write. Thanks for checking in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a a great idea! Whatever your goals are, it's good to be realistic yet push yourself to do a little better. Wishing you all the best of luck with your writing!
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me