Three Times A Charm with James Gordon

It’s time for Three Times A Charm. I love to introduce readers to people involved in children’s publishing. Today we have James Gordon with us. Welcome James. Can you share a little about yourself, please?

My name is James Gordon, an award winning author, poet, and storyteller from Chicago’s South Side. I am the author of the Amazon Best Selling Children’s Book, “Hi My Name is Bobo (A Weekend in the Life of a 5th Grader) and several other books under the pen name G.P.A. (Greatest Poet Alive). I can also be seen on the tv shows Sirens, Empire, Chicago Fire, and Chicago PD, as well as on Twitter at gr8estpoetalive.

I’d love to hear more about My Name is Bobo. Can you tell us about the book and share the inspiration behind it?

Sometimes a weekend can seem like a lifetime to a growing child. He may experience like, fear, anticipation, and other emotions without smooth transition or even realizing it. This is the life of Bobo, a fifth grader, who loves his family, the Superfriends, and chocolate milk. As he introduces himself, get to know him, and you will absolutely love him!!


There is not an abundance of children’s books that focus on or have a main character that is African American.  One of the main reasons I wrote “Bobo” and am making it a series is to fill that gap. When I was growing up, “Fat Albert” was the cartoon character we had to watch and follow. That wasn’t the case, but now there is Bobo.

I recommend my book to readers who like: Judy Blume’s “Then Again, Maybe I Won’t” and “Through My Eyes’ by Ruby Bridges

Now it’s time for the threes. Give us your top three answers to the following:

  • Top 3 tools of the trade you couldn’t live without.

I could not do without an editor, a group of readers that tell the truth, and an intense need to promote myself.

  • Top 3 leisure activities.

I play video games, walk and play with Scooter the Beagle, and watch a BUNCH of movies.

  • Top 3 personal mantras or inspirational phrases.

My favorite inspirational phrases come from not obvious places. Here goes: “To be the man, you have to beat the man, and I’m the man. WOOO!!” Ric Flair,    “I am the best ever…” Mike Tyson, and “You are the best at being you.” Joel Oesteen

Where can our tech savvy readers find you online?

Facebook: James Gordon
Facebook page: Hi My Name is Bobo
Twitter: gr8estpoetalive

Thanks for joining us on this week’s Three Times A Charm, James. Best of luck to you and Bobo.

GUESTS WELCOME!  I’m always looking for guests for Three Times A Charm. If you are an author, illustrator or book reviewer, an agent or an editor. If you have something related to children’s publishing that you’d like people to know about, feel free to contact me about a future appearance.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me