Funny thing happened on the way to publishing books. Fairy tales. May #InkRipples



Simply put (according to Wikipedia)  A fairy tale is a type of short story that typically features folkloric fantasy characters, such as dwarves, dragons, elves, fairies, giants, gnomes, goblins, griffins, mermaids, talking animals, trolls, unicorns, or witches, and usually magic or enchantments. 

Once upon a time I didn’t like fairy tale retellings. But one day I was home and bored, sitting on the couch, covered by a blankie, and in desperate need of a new story to read. I picked up a copy of The Curse Girl  by Kate Avery Ellison, a Beauty and the Beast retelling. I sat, and I read, and before I knew it I was done. Imagine my surprise when I enjoyed it! Then I read Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge  Another Beauty and the Beast retelling. A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn  a Sleeping Beauty retelling. Maybe you see that I was starting to like them.

One day, while reading messages and reviews for my first published book The Weaver. I realized one of the most common comments was how the book had a fairy tale feel. Though The Weaver isn’t a retelling, I thought it would be a good idea to take the series forward with fairy tale retellings. So I wrote The Wishing Well – Cinderella retelling, and then one of my favorite books, The Lumpy Duckling – well, that one’s obvious, right?  Right?

The moral of the story is that I now enjoy fairy tale retellings and have even used it in my own stories. As a special bonus today, click this link to read my Goldilocks retelling, Pillaging https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6NdYVO_8LENVXduc2JQOE51c3M/view?usp=sharing

I’d love some retelling recommendations. Which have you read and loved?

#Inkripples is a themed meme hosted by Mary Waibel, Katie L. Carroll, and Kai Strand posting on the first Monday of every month. To participate compose your own post regarding the theme of the month, and link back to the three host blogs. Feel free to post whenever you want during the month, but be sure to include #inkripples when you promote so readers can find you. The idea is that we toss a word or idea into the inkwell and each post is a new ripple. There is no wrong interpretation. Themes and images and more information can be found here.

Comments

  1. Oh, I have some recs (which I'll share here even though this is part of my blog topic for next week)! Robin McKinley's Beauty, Rose Daughter, or Spindle's End. Gail Carson Levine's Ella Enchanted (book much better than the movie), Fairest, or Ever. Malinda Lo's Ash or Huntress. And, of course, Mary Waibel's Quest of the Hart, Charmed Memories, or They Mystery Prince, but I'm sure you've heard of them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read several of those, but I really need to add McKinley's books to my list. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love your fairy tale books and have been waiting for more. Hint, hint. Next week for my #InkRipples I'm posting about a radio show of fairy tales. Before your time, young thing, but it was fun for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I took so long to respond. I read your comment and answered in my head. I find I do that a lot. Ugh! Thanks for the kind words for the Weaver Tales. Me? Young? Ha ha!

      Delete
  3. I'll double down on Katie's suggestion of McKinleys books. They are great!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me