Three Times A Charm with Kerry Kennett

Welcome to Three Times A Charm. I love introducing my readers to new authors, illustrators, bloggers, agents, editors or promoters from the children’s publishing industry.

Today’s guest is author, Kerry Kennett. Thanks for joining us, Kerry. Can you tell us a little about you, please?

I grew up enjoying the freedom only writing provides.  I used to create my own stories, poems, and I even wrote our fourth grade graduation song that a group of my friends and I sang at the little ceremony!  I love creative writing!  I am also a certified teacher and librarian.  I hold two Masters Degrees, an MST in Education and an MLS in Library Science.  I currently substitute teach in New York State, but have had the opportunity to teach special needs students in the Bronx, middle school English in my hometown, and to work as a school librarian in Dutchess County, New York.  I have published my first e-book via MeeGenius titled To The Lady Upstairs, Sincerely, The Centipede.  I'm currently working on a dozen other picture and chapter book manuscripts at this time, and hope to have a paperback or hard-copy book published by me, in my hands, before I am fifty! 

I love that title! Tell us more about To The Lady Upstairs, Sincerely, The Centipede.

My story is about a centipede who doesn't feel appreciated.  He complains that the “Lady Upstairs” doesn't thank him for keeping the basement dry, throwing lint into the garbage can, and other such chores!  The centipede is wonderfully drawn by illustrator Justin Sadur-Torres to be a cartoon that is reminiscent of the characters in “Ants” or “A Bug's Life.”  I don't particularly like bugs myself, but with Justin's drawings, and the adventures I have sent him on, this centipede is easy to love!

I find it funny that you don’t like bugs, but wrote about one. We had centipedes in the basement of the house I grew up in—I don’t like them either! *shudders*

Now, for the Threes. Share with us your top 3’s to help us know you a little better.

  • Top 3 leisure activities.

I love snorkeling.  I love writing and reading as work and leisure.  I find it fun to come up with new ideas and snippets of scenes!  I also enjoy dining out with my husband!  We love finding new places to try old favorite dishes, or new items! 

  • Top 3 pieces of advice for kids these days.

I would tell kids to not worry so much about what everyone thinks.  It is hard, and I even catch myself worrying on occasion, but it is important to be yourself and not let others have a major influence over you.

I would also tell kids that everything gets better.  Any issue that you are worrying about now is much easier to handle when you're older.  I have found this to be true at least.  Things can seem so overwhelming and awful at the time, but just look like a “rough time” in hindsight.  Talk to your friends, family, neighbors, etc.!

A third bit of advice I would give to kids is to travel whenever you can.  If a relative invites you on a trip, GO!  If your grade is going on a trip or has a foregin studies group, JOIN and GO!   

  • Top 3 favorite places.

My favorite places are New York, Hawaii, and Italy.  I have always lived in New York, except when I went away to college for four years to Connecticut (go Sacred Heart University, woo!).  I love it here.  I fell in love here.  I have so many memories in so many parts of this great state!  I love New York and I will be very sad if we move some day!

Hawaii.... Well, of course!  Who doesn't love Hawaii?  I have been lucky enough to go to Hawaii three times.  Two of which were with my fabulous husband!  I love beaches and sunsets and snorkeling...  There is never a dull day in Hawaii and everywhere you go is just gorgeous.

Italy is beautiful.  I have been to Italy twice.  During my junior year of high school and before my senior year of college when it was part of a cruise my aunt took me on!  I liked the land trip much better because I got to explore all over three cities: Rome, Venice, and Florence.  Venice is MAGICAL! 

Where can our tech savvy readers find you online?

My website is: kerrykennett.com
I am on Facebook under Kerry Kennett.
I am on Twitter, but I don't use it as much as I should!, @KerryKennett22
If you write to me, I WILL write back to you!  I can even send an autographed page from the e-book if I am e-mailed and this is requested.  I can be reached through my website for this purpose on www.kerrykennett.com.    

It was lovely having you charm us on this week’s Three Times A Charm, Kerry. Best of luck to your book and your upcoming projects.

THANKS!

GUESTS WELCOME!  I am always looking for guests for Three Times A Charm. If you are an author, illustrator or book reviewer, an agent or an editor. If you have something related to children’s publishing that you’d like people to know about, feel free to contact me about a future appearance.

Comments

  1. Yay, two of my favorite author peeps on one blog!

    I agree that centipedes (and bugs in general) are creepy, buy Kerry's book is absolutely adorable, centipedes and all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Katie! And thanks for 'introducing' me to Kerry. I met her through your blog.

      Bugs are important and necessary. However, it is necessary that they stay outside, or else I might have to squish them. I wish they were as cute as Kerry's!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Katie, and Kai! I was happy to see only the one.... We get a lot of spiders in our house. I know they are supposed to eat other bugs.... But when they get to a certain size, I do scream for my husband to kill them! LOL! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Susan Kaye Quinn, Author of Open Minds, Presents:

I Want More – The Story Behind the Story, I Am Me